You know what I love about my buddy, Deepak, and my girl, Oprah? They have decided to take all* of their success, their earnings, and their notoriety, and turn it into a positive force for change on this planet. Once again, this dynamic duo has teamed up to bring us a 21-Day-Meditation Challenge
, starting August 5. This one will focus on ďMiraculous Relationships.Ē Sounds intriguing, doesnít it?
Iíll be doing it, and I hope youíll join me. But I must warn you: meditation does come with some side effects:
- Meditation lowers stress. Research shows that meditation does not only make you feel less stressed at the time; but it also decreases your levels of the stress hormone, cortisol.
- It can help you get to know yourSelf. Recent studies have shown that meditation can help us get to know our True Selves, through nonjudgmental observation and attention.
- It may cause you to love yourself. Meditation is all about accepting what is, as it is. Including your body, your thoughts, your emotions, and any other Stuff. Remember, ďDonít sweat the small stuff.Ē Itís all small stuff.
- It will make you less reactive. With a regular meditation practice, youíll teach yourself to have better control over processing pain and emotions, specifically through the control of cortical alpha rhythms. Basically, next time your computer freezes in the middle of a project, you will be less inclined to toss it through the window.
- It will improve your physical health. Even during peak flu season, meditation can lessen the effects of colds and sickness. Researchers from the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Health found that people who practice meditation, end up missing fewer days of work from acute respiratory infections, and also experience a shortened duration and severity of symptoms.
- It could help you lose weight. Mind over matter, no matter the case.
- It will save you money. Yep, thatís right. Research in the American Journal of Health Promotion shows that practicing meditation is linked with lower yearly doctor costs, compared to those who donít have a meditation practice.
In short, meditation may cause better health, better sleep, clarity, and an overall sense of well-being, contentment, and/or happiness in your everyday life. So. Donít say I didnít warn you.
I hope youíll join me August 5th!
*Okay, maybe Deepak and Oprah havenít used all of their success, earnings, and notoriety for the greater good. But, hey, whatís the point of being a multi-billionaire if you donít treat yourself to an $85 million mansion every now and again? YOLO!**
** I apologize.
Photo Courtesy of: AlicePopkorn