The weather is heating up and fast approaching are those long, balmy summer days filled with damp bathing suits, sand in between your toes, sunscreen on your nose, and a stack of light summer reading—books with titles like Milly and Dilly Do Tea, Kiki’s Summer Fling, or Stardust Dreams (that last one is actually real.)
Now I will admit, I have my own version of “summer books”—books where you can escape for a while, laugh a little, you know, really tone down the whole thinking type stuff. My reading vices are mostly YA, fantasy, or a combination of the two. But this being a Spiritual Column and all, I’m not going to give you that type of list. Nope. There is no way I’d spend time in this column recommending books like Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, The Raven Boys, or Howl’s Moving Castle
Today’s post is going to be a list of a different kind of light summer reading: A list of spiritual books and resources, much like this list
I gave you for your kiddos.
I’ve decided to keep this list to A) books that I have read and can honestly, genuinely recommend and B) books that are not going to give you a headache, i.e. relatively light spiritual summer reading.
After all, the Buddha reached enlightenment under the Bodhi Tree—why not knock it out while lounging by the pool?
1) The Tao of Pooh – Benjamin Hoff
2) The Te of Piglet – Benjamin Hoff
3) The Alchemist – Paulo Coelho
4) The Secret – Rhonda Byrne
5) Why Is God Laughing? – Deepak Chopra
6) The Tao Te Ching – Lao-Tzu
7) Remember, Be Here Now – Ram Dass
8) Siddhartha – Hermann Hesse
9) The Power of Now – Eckhart Tolle
10) A New Earth – Eckhart Tolle
11) May Cause Miracles – Gabrielle Bernstein
12) My Stroke of Insight – Jill Bolte Taylor
13) Dying to Be Me – Anita Moorjani
14) The Spontaneous Fulfillment of Desire – Deepak Chopra
15) The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success – Deepak Chopra
*All of these books can change your life, but are very different. So I’ve decided to order the list, not by importance, but by, eh, “weight.” The books at the top are the lightest; the easiest to flip right through, and the books at the bottom require a bit more concentration. Don’t worry, none of them are Ulysses or anything.
And for those of you who’d rather skip the whole reading bit, here are some wonderful videos I’ve come across over the years that will simply blow your socks off:
1) Deepak Chopra LinkedIn Talk
2) What the Bleep do We Know?
3) Jill Bolte Taylor: Stroke of Insight
4) Wayne Dyer Power of Intention – Part 1
, Part 2
5) How To Manifest Anything You Want
6) Anita Moorjani Interview
7) How to Re-Program Your Subconscious Mind
8) Deepak Chopra – The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success
9) The Secret
10) Words Can Change your Life
As always, I’d love to hear your feedback! Click “Send Feedback” below to make any suggestions that I might have missed, opinions on what I have included, or just to say hello.
Happy Summer Reading.